Marketing and Public Relations Director (Full-Time, Exempt)
Ashtabula Arts Center in Ashtabula, Ohio
Summary: The Ashtabula Arts Center seeks a creative, strategic, and enthusiastic Marketing & PR Director who is responsible for the planning and implementation of all organizational communication efforts and maximizing its earned income goals. The Marketing Director is pivotal in representing the organization to the public through multiple communication outlets and for realizing increased earned revenue through ticket sales, subscriptions, and other audience engagement events/partnerships. This position offers a substantial opportunity for an emerging or mid-career professional to make a contribution to an organization important to Ashtabula County’s quality of life. The Marketing Director reports to the Executive Director.
- Work with Executive Director in setting and implementing annual and long-range marketing strategy and plans.
- Work with Executive Director in creating and managing department budget and marketing plans that articulate focused and diverse efforts to meet or exceed earned revenue goals.
- Develop, manage, and maintain organizational communication vehicles using traditional and innovative communication techniques, including e-mail, social media, newsletters (5x/year), website, brochures, rack cards, ads, programs, signage, posters, etc.
- Write/Design/Coordinate all graphic design, publicity, and photography/videography, and generate media exposure through general press releases and focused pitches.
- Work with Executive Director to build and sustain strategic marketing partnerships, sponsorships, and cross-promotions with community organizations and businesses.
- Work with the Director of Theater and Finance Director to manage and train seasonal volunteer Box Office Workers and House Managers to ensure top-notch consistent data entry, positive customer service, and a sustainable, high-quality patron experience.
- Work with Director of Theater, Finance Director, and House Managers to ensure accurate financial and attendance reporting and reconciliation for single tickets, subscriptions, and group sales.
- Work with Executive Director to design development materials for fundraising needs.
- Represent the Ashtabula Arts Center as an advocate and spokesperson at local events relevant to the organization’s marketing and audience development efforts.
- Other duties as assigned. The professional staff of the arts center works collaboratively on a number of special projects and also assists with such tasks as answering phones and staffing the front desk when needed.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or experience equivalency in a relevant field required.
Experience: The ideal candidate for the Marketing Director will have at least two years of experience in marketing, preferably for the performing arts or in a related field.
Skills: The Marketing Director must have outstanding organizational, multi-tasking, writing, graphic design, and public speaking skills; a tone of collaboration, respect, and professionalism, both internally and externally, while maintaining composure in a fast-paced setting; a capacity for initiative, self-organization, and direction to meet deadlines; a commitment to quality, accuracy, and attention to detail; and an ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and InDesign desktop publishing software is required; experience with Photoshop and WordPress is preferred. Excellent sense of humor is required.
The Marketing Director is a full-time, year-round position with a flexible schedule that often includes evening and weekend work, as well as occasional local travel. The Ashtabula Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Compensation: The salary range is between $28-32,000 and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and life insurance, paid vacation, and a SIMPLE IRA plan with organization match.
Background Information: The Ashtabula Arts Center recently celebrated its 62nd anniversary year. With an annual operating budget of approximately $700,000 and a facility with two dance studios, three music studios, two visual arts studios, an art exhibition gallery, a 200-seat indoor theater, and a 200-seat outdoor theater, the Ashtabula Arts Center is the premiere arts organization in Ashtabula County. The facility is located on a semi-wooded site just inside the limits of the city of Ashtabula near the Kent State University Ashtabula campus. The arts center holds classes and performances in the areas of dance, music, and theater, and classes and exhibits in the visual arts. A very busy year-round schedule reaches up to 15,000 individuals annually on its grounds and several thousand more at various sites in the county through community-wide programming, services, and educational activities. Ashtabula County, the largest land-area county in the state of Ohio, is located on the shores of beautiful Lake Erie. The county is home to the most covered bridges in Ohio and boasts numerous wineries among its attractions. With a population of 100,000 and a committed volunteer base, Ashtabula County offers a wonderful family-friendly Midwestern community.
Application Deadline: October 2, 2015
E-mail cover letter, resume, three references, one writing sample, and one example of graphic design to:
Ashtabula Arts Center
2928 W. 13th Street
Ashtabula, OH 44004
No phone calls please. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews.
For more information about the Ashtabula Arts Center, please read our website.